grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] move built in group attributes to the groups table

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] move built in group attributes to the groups table

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] move built in group attributes to the groups table
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 12:05:09 -0500

> Another issue:
>
> The internal privilege model for what Access privilege is needed by a
> subject to read/write any particular attribute/field is modeled in
> grouper_fields e.g.
>
> IS_NULLABLE NAME READ_PRIVILEGE TYPE WRITE_PRIVILEGE
> ------------------------------------ ----------------------------------
> --
> true description read attribute admin
>
> false displayExtension view attribute admin
>
> false extension view attribute admin
>
> These are no longer in grouper_fields.
>
> The UI makes a call:
> group.canWriteField(FieldFinder.find("extension"))
> which now fails.
>
> Gary

Yes, sorry about that, these are now part of the group, so they are not
fields, and thus don't have those entries anymore. Can we assume that id,
name, displayName, description can be viewed with view, and updated with
admin (i.e. not configurable)? If we need something other than that, can we
specify it in the grouper.properties, and canWriteField() can use those for
the builtin fields? How configurable do we need? Each field can be
specified, or one setting for all fields? Is description a private field
except for readers?

Let me know if you want me to implement this stuff...