grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] timestamp vs number of millis

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] timestamp vs number of millis

  • From: Tom Zeller <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>
  • Cc: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] timestamp vs number of millis
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 14:52:34 -0600

> Would it then make sense to default to epoch millis unless some other
> use case appears ?

This means an integer in db for number of millis since 1970?

Yeah, isn't that what you meant ? Or were you thinking yyyymmddhhmmss.millis ? or ?

> As you say, since multiple events may occur at exactly the same time,
> timestamp alone may not preserve order in all cases, hence the need
> for a db sequence. Can you say more about the challenges of
> importing/exporting a db sequence ? (it could just be an int that
> wraps, right ?)

For oracle, just need to make sure to update the current sequence val after an import so you don't have collisions... not sure about mysql/postgres...

Are audit records going to be exported with all the other data, or will that be a separate file?  I think it could be a lot of data so maybe we should do this in a separate file.  Thoughts?

Separate and/or optional. But we do want to be able to import/export, I would think.