grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] timestamp vs number of millis

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] timestamp vs number of millis

  • From: Tom Zeller <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>
  • Cc: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] timestamp vs number of millis
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 14:37:55 -0600

It might be beneficial to take advantage of database-specific types
for timestamp storage (e.g. searching). However, the xml format used
by xmlimport/export should be
database agnostic to allow someone to move grouper across databases.
Would it then make sense to default to epoch millis unless some other
use case appears ?

As you say, since multiple events may occur at exactly the same time,
timestamp alone may not preserve order in all cases, hence the need
for a db sequence. Can you say more about the challenges of
importing/exporting a db sequence ? (it could just be an int that
wraps, right ?)

On Feb 9, 2009, at 10:04 AM, Chris Hyzer