grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] timestamp vs number of millis

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] timestamp vs number of millis

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Tom Zeller <>
  • Cc: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] timestamp vs number of millis
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 15:41:11 -0500

> It might be beneficial to take advantage of database-specific types
> for timestamp storage (e.g. searching). However, the xml format used
> by xmlimport/export should be
> database agnostic to allow someone to move grouper across databases.
> Would it then make sense to default to epoch millis unless some other
> use case appears ?

This means an integer in db for number of millis since 1970?

> As you say, since multiple events may occur at exactly the same time,
> timestamp alone may not preserve order in all cases, hence the need
> for a db sequence. Can you say more about the challenges of
> importing/exporting a db sequence ? (it could just be an int that
> wraps, right ?)

For oracle, just need to make sure to update the current sequence val after
an import so you don't have collisions... not sure about mysql/postgres...

Are audit records going to be exported with all the other data, or will that
be a separate file? I think it could be a lot of data so maybe we should do
this in a separate file. Thoughts?

Chris