grouper-dev - web service notes

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

web service notes

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: web service notes
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 03:00:51 -0500

Hey,

Btw, grouperClient development is going well, so far ldap, and the following web services are implemented: addMember, deleteMember, getGroups, getMembers, groupSave, and hasMember.

In making the grouperClient work with grouper-ws, I discovered that saving groups with detail (e.g. types, attributes, composites), where the group is not a composite (or maybe other cases), does not work well.  If you are doing this, please update from cvs HEAD, wait until rc2.

Also, again, learning from working with the grouperClient, I added a couple of grouper-ws.properties settings to absorb XML errors in REST better, or to omit XML fields which clients are not sending right (mostly a problem as we keep out of date clients working with newer grouper-ws servers).

Finally, the grouper-ws should be communicating information about what happened during the request.  groupSave was just returning SUCCESS, but now it returns: SUCCESS_INSERTED, SUCCESS_UPDATED, SUCCESS_NO_CHANGES_NEEDED.  Note, this is only for client version of 1.4+.  If a pre 1.4 client is connecting, then only SUCCESS will be returned as before (trying to maintain backwards compatibility…  here is an example using the client (and there is a unit test too):

C:\grouper>java -jar grouperClient.jar --operation=groupSaveWs --name=aStem:aGroup --outputTemplate=${wsGroupSaveResult.resultMetadata.resultCode}

SUCCESS_NO_CHANGES_NEEDED

C:\grouper>java -jar grouperClient.jar --operation=groupSaveWs --name=aStem:aGroup --outputTemplate=${wsGroupSaveResult.resultMetadata.resultCode} --clientVersion=v1_3_000

SUCCESS

C:\grouper>

I will probably have to do the same with stemSave, and maybe other remaining ones…

This is all captured in the change log:

https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/GrouperWG/Grouper+change+log+v1.4#Grouperchangelogv1.4-Grouperws

Regards,

Chris

  • web service notes, Chris Hyzer, 12/04/2008