grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] xmlExport/xmlImport in GSH

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] xmlExport/xmlImport in GSH

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] xmlExport/xmlImport in GSH
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 13:00:35 +0100

Chris,

I've had a quick go importing and exporting and the changes appear to work, however, I'm concerned we've made things more difficult than they were - which is the opposite of what was intended with a binary release.

Some of the first things I do after checking out from CVS are running schemaexport and then doing an import of the quickstart.xml. These used to be one liners... I could write GSH scripts but I'd rather not do that - especially lots of variants on import/export.

I think we could extend GSH so that we can pass a variable number of arguments and have special cases for the main utilities e.g.

gsh -schemaexport [options]
gsh -usdu [options]
gsh -xmlimport [options]
gsh -xmlexport [options]
gsh <file> [args] - with arguments available in GSH
gsh - [args]
gsh -- [args] - no file and no STDIN but allows for args to be passed.

In the meantime, if it is too late to do something along the lines of my suggestion, I would vote for keeping the ant targets for 1.4 at least.

BTW I'd like for GSH to be more configurable i.e. a GSH_OPTS environment variable and/or a gsh_opts.bat/sh which, if present, is 'sourced' and GSH_OPTS added to the Java invocation. Memory options could be moved here also. Having GSH_OPTS would make it easier to run GSH with remote debugging and / or a profiler.

Gary

--On 15 October 2008 00:05 -0400 Chris Hyzer

Hey,

With the binary release and other reasons we got rid of
xmlImport/xmlExport from ant so we can use it from GSH.

I didn't know that the GSH export/import didn't cover everything in the
ant one.

So I added the features from the ant version into gsh. However, there
are a lot of options etc, so I made it a "chained" object. Documentation
is here:

https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/GrouperWG/GrouperShell+(gsh
)#GrouperShell(gsh)-XMLexport

https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/GrouperWG/GrouperShell+(gsh
)#GrouperShell(gsh)-XMLimport

My questions are:

1. Gary, can you test this and let me know if I am missing anything
or doing anything wrong?

2. Everyone, can we remove the old GSH xmlImport/xmlExport methods
(which are not full featured, and which are covered by the new way)?

Still need to update docs / tests...

Since this wasn't trivial, I added another Jira:

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing