grouper-dev - Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 17-Sep-08

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 17-Sep-08

  • From: Emily Eisbruch <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 17-Sep-08
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 05:48:43 -0400

*Grouper Call 17-Sep-08**

  *Attending*

Tom Barton, Chair
Gary Brown, Bristol U.
Shilen Patel, Duke
Chris Hyzer, U. Penn
Bill Kasenchar, U. Penn
Tom Zeller, U. Memphis
Dave Donnelly, Stanford
Mike Olive, Stanford
Joy Veronneau, Cornell U.
Ann West, EDUCAUSE/Internet2
Steve Olshansky, Internet2
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2 (scribe)

New Action Items

[AI] (TomZ) will record membership problems discovered at U. Memphis as Jira items.

[AI] (Chris) will increase the version of Subject API to 0.4.

[AI] (MikeO) and (TomB) will send out roadmap information to the Grouper-dev and Signet-dev
lists in preparation for the I2 FMM combined working group meeting.

[AI] (TomB) will send out an email to the lists asking for agenda topics
for the I2 FMM combined working group meeting.

 Carry Over Action Items

[AI] (Kathryn) will do background research on a messaging system to be
used as a test/example case for hooks.

Discussion

Releasing 1.3.1

Grouper 1.3.1 RC1 has been out for a few weeks. TomZ reported that
U. Memphis found a circular membership issue while using RC1.
Shilen has assigned that issue to 1.4 (GRP 168): https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/GRP-168

The group agreed that Grouper 1.3.1 is essentially ready for release.
Gary will update documentation on the XML membership export issue (GRP 166).
Gary will then tag the files, and TomB and SteveO will do final bundling for the release.

Grouper 1.4.0 Status

To provide more breathing room for the work for Grouper 1.4, it
was decided to schedule the 1.4 release for Nov. 1, rather than in mid-Oct.

Major JIRA issues for 1.4 include
https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/GRP-86 (checkout and build process)

The group decided to postpone any action on depths unless they become a problem:

Concerning circular memberships,
TomZ gave an example of the need for “circular membership”:
an instructor teaches course A and course B and this instructor
wants all mail sent to A to go to both and B to go to both.
Chris and Shilen agreed that for such cases — in the interest of less bloating
to the membership table — group A does not need to be an
effective or indirect member of group A.

TomZ stressed that we should make a note somewhere regarding outstanding issues
that result in incorrect memberships. The Bad Membership Finder Utility
identifies these problems, and TomZ has been trying to find what is causing
them. Shilen will work with TomZ on such issues.

[AI] (TomZ) will record membership problems discovered at U. Memphis as Jira items.

Subject API

Chris has made some changes to the subject API and he will increment the version.
[AI] (Chris) will increase the version of Subject API to 0.4

Joint Signet and Grouper WG Meeting at the I2 FMM

Potential discussion items for the joint Signet and Grouper WG meeting to be held Monday, Oct 13 at
3pm at the I2 Fall Member Meeting in New Orleans include:

-     Report from Klara and Rob on Privilege Management Survey
-     Signet and Grouper work effort/roadmap review
-     What’s new with Grouper and Signet (what’s cooking)
-     Demos?
-     Open up floor for topics

[AI] (MikeO) and (TomB) will send out roadmap information to the
Grouper-dev and Signet-dev lists in preparation for the I2 FMM combined working group meeting.

[AI] (TomB) will send out an email to the lists asking for agenda topics
for the I2 FMM combined working group meeting.

Next call: Wed 1-Oct-08 Noon EDT.

Emily Eisbruch, Technology Transfer Analyst
Internet2
office: +1734-352-4996 | mobile +1-734-604-5562

LHC: Boldly going where no science has gone before.
Internet2: Warp-speed networking to get there.
http://internet2.edu/science