grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] grouper binary build proposal

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] grouper binary build proposal

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: Tom Zeller <>, Chris Hyzer <>
  • Cc: Emily Eisbruch <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] grouper binary build proposal
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 09:23:47 +0100

Comments below.

Gary

--On 15 September 2008 16:05 -0500 Tom Zeller

Please see my votes inline.

TomZ

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 10:41 PM, Chris Hyzer

My proposal for a binary build is:

Gzip file: grouper.1.4.tar.gz:
OK

/lib/grouper: all jars that grouper needs, including grouper.jar
OK

/lib/jdbcSamples: some drivers that the user can choose from? e.g. the
ones we test with. Note, the user can use these or get their own,
explained in readme
OK

We should probably have a /lib/custom or similar as a placeholder for site specific JARS which always get added to the classpath

Nice. That would save me a step. Mabye we could include
grouper.hibernate.properties and sources.xml snippets for the various
drivers as well (having forgotten one or the other more than once).

/conf: all resources and all config example files, and the same files
with the real name. So there would be grouper.example.properties ==
grouper.properties
OK

/bin: all the example scripts, and the non-examples ones: gsh.example.bat
== gsh.bat (note, all line endings need to be right? note, permissions
might not be right [e.g. executable in unix], should be in readme).

OK
/ext: any extensions (note, currently there are none to bundle in? should
we include this or wait until there are extensions? )

Seems silly to include an empty directory, but I suggest keeping it for
any grouper-extension-lurkers.
Agreed.

BTW getting an extension to work always involved first running an ant task - how would someone build their extension now - or can't they using a binary dist?

Should we package javadoc or other docs (or keep in cvs?)

I think web-based documentation is fine, so a link to the wiki seems
sufficient.
Actually I think it is normal practice - and useful to include the javadoc

Should logs go to base dir, or should we auto-create dirs for logs and
keep in /logs dir?

I like the logs directory rather than base dir, since if the binary
grouper release is included in another project there might not be a
grouper base dir.
logs is better

Anything else?
For things like log dirs we can consider using environment variables - which get turned into system properties. Tomcat scripts choose sensible defaults but let you override / add values through setenv.sh. We could use this to allow users to set different JVM args i.e. memory usage, profiler agents, debugging