grouper-dev - setters causing db side effects

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

setters causing db side effects

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: setters causing db side effects
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 10:54:33 -0400

Hey,

I am done with this change.  Here are the details:

Remember when upgrading Grouper to look at the change log for upgrade instructions:

https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/GrouperWG/Grouper+change+log+v1.3+-+v1.4

Basically, if you do nothing, the grouper behavior doesn’t change.  If you add the grouper.properties setting per the instructions and turn on this feature, then business object setters will not kick off db queries (e.g. group.setExtension(“whatever”)).  You will need to make sure for all the listed methods, if you have custom code, you call group.store() after them (see example in instructions).  The API, GSH, UI, WS are all updated with the store() methods.  I think it doesn’t affect usdu, ldappc, or anything else in the internet2 cvs (let me know if Im wrong, I don’t mind fixing).

I would think the plan for this is a soft launch (e.g. this feature by default is off), but that the current behavior is deprecated (if its possible to deprecate *not* using a method [store()], and in a future release we will remove the param and it will always be true and cant be turned off… so we don’t have to support both ways.  But we can discuss if this is not what people expect.

  • setters causing db side effects, Chris Hyzer, 07/08/2008