grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] changelog implementation sketch

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] changelog implementation sketch

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Tom Barton <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] changelog implementation sketch
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 12:54:10 -0400

> So, although it's true that a change in subjectId might indeed result
> in a change in how that Subject's memberships are represented in
> contexts outside of grouper, it doesn't cause a change to how the
> Subject's memberships are represented inside grouper.

So we either have subject ID changes flowing:

Source system -> Grouper -> Destination system1
Grouper -> Destination system2
Grouper -> Destination system3
-or-

Source system -> Grouper
Source system -> Destination system1
Source system -> Destination system2
Source system -> Destination system3

Right?

I think the first way has value because you have probably fewer interfaces
(since grouper is already talking to the destination systems about grouper
and membership data). With the source system notifying all the systems that
grouper notifies, it will be a lot more work and things can get out of sync
(i.e. maybe the subjectId change in grouper didn't happen successfully, but
the subjectId change in the destination system [e.g. ldap] did happen
successfully, then the data in LDAP might not be consistent with grouper.

Regards,