grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] grouper membership loader

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] grouper membership loader

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Tom Barton <>
  • Cc: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] grouper membership loader
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:14:02 -0400

> > Right, but the group will still need to be flagged somehow so that
> > UI/GSH/WS knows it is dynamic and doesnt edit it [only to be
> > overwritten later] (e.g. restrict the editing of it via hooks). So
> > the group will need a "type" or an "attribute" or external table or
> > config, right? I don't see how there can be overlap, how a static
> > group could be dynamically controlled and still be "static" (i.e.
> > allow manual memberships directly assigned)...
>
> Do you think UPDATE priv can be used for this purpose? Ie, ensure that
> loaders identify themselves as such, so that they alone can manage
> membership. Just as we do for "human loaders". Turn this into a
> documentation & deployment feature rather than an API feature?

Yeah, that's fine, I think that is another way to "flag" the group as
dynamic, by having a priv (though wheel group members might not be restricted
but maybe not a huge deal), or a group description comment or structure or
document or standard. So I think we agree that the there are three group
types and that they are mutually exclusive: composite, manually managed,
auto-managed. However, Gary did mention one point that the auto-managed
group could have a group added as a member (perhaps manually), and the
auto-process would not remove it... lots of interesting possibilities. :)
And if we have membership metadata eventually then we could have more
overlap. Though if group metadata is bad for performance, then membership
metadata might be also.