grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] grouper membership loader

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] grouper membership loader

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>
  • Cc: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] grouper membership loader
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 14:37:37 -0500

Chris Hyzer wrote:
Sorry, still trying to understand...

However, another approach is to keep the automated loading separate
from the API per se, so that static groups may have their
membership managed by loader.

Right, but the group will still need to be flagged somehow so that
UI/GSH/WS knows it is dynamic and doesnt edit it [only to be
overwritten later] (e.g. restrict the editing of it via hooks). So
the group will need a "type" or an "attribute" or external table or
config, right? I don't see how there can be overlap, how a static
group could be dynamically controlled and still be "static" (i.e.
allow manual memberships directly assigned)...

Do you think UPDATE priv can be used for this purpose? Ie, ensure that loaders identify themselves as such, so that they alone can manage membership. Just as we do for "human loaders". Turn this into a documentation & deployment feature rather than an API feature?

Tom
begin:vcard
fn:Tom Barton
n:Barton;Tom
org:University of Chicago;Networking Services & Information Technology
adr;dom:1155 E. 60th St.;;Rm 309, 1155 Bldg;Chicago;IL;60637
email;internet:
title:Sr. Director - Integration
tel;work:+1 773 834 1700
version:2.1