grouper-dev - ldappc edu.internet2.middleware.ldappc.synchronize.GroupEntrySynchronizer.clearRoot()

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

ldappc edu.internet2.middleware.ldappc.synchronize.GroupEntrySynchronizer.clearRoot()

  • From: Owen Cliffe <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: ldappc edu.internet2.middleware.ldappc.synchronize.GroupEntrySynchronizer.clearRoot()
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 13:06:29 +0100

I've noticed that ldappc clears the entire provisioned OU of all objects
which don't match the provisioned groups' object class. While I can of
understand the motivation for this, I was wondering if it is absolutely
necessary, or it could be made optional.

We have a (possibly unusual) scenario where we have some LDAP groups
(which have a different objectClass to the ldappc provisioned groups)
which are managed by a separate system to our grouper maintained
groups. At present we can't easily migrate the maintenance of these
groups into grouper (although It's something which we might consider in
the future).

For historical reasons we would like to preserve these groups under the
same DN as the grouper provisioned groups. The only way I've found to
work around this for now is to comment out the clearRoot() call in
GroupEntrySynchronizer.initialize(). This doesn't seem to cause any
problems for us, although I suppose that there is a risk of a namespace
clash if a grouper group ends up with the same cn as an existing group,
this isn't a problem for us as the CNs for the "other" groups cannot
contain semicolons.

As an aside, I was wondering why ldappc doesn't use a properties file
like grouper to configure application-level options on top of the
ldappc.xml file, it might make adding minor options like this a bit
easier...

Regards,

--Owen

--
Owen Cliffe Systems & Networks Administrator
Bath University Computer Services University of Bath