grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] Action Items: Grouper call5-March-2008

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] Action Items: Grouper call5-March-2008

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] Action Items: Grouper call5-March-2008
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:16:29 +0000

--On 08 March 2008 22:26 -0500 Chris Hyzer

[AI] (Tom) will consult with Blair about duplicate columns of IDs/UUIDs

I was intrigued at how this would work, so I took the liberty of finding
and implementing a good and working solution for this. Let me know any
feedback. If you don't want me to commit soon, I will probably commit to
a branch so I can keep these changes handy for when we need them.

https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/GrouperWG/Hibernate+ID%27s+
and+versioning
I think it would be best to leave these changes to the beginning of the next cycle as they may have knock on effects it is hard to track down just now. e.g. if we remove the uuid column, we presumably get rid of getUuid and findByUuid methods in favour of getId and findById. I'd rather not have to make those kinds of changes now.

I'd definitely be interested in scripts which manipulated an existing schema and retained data to complete an upgrade. Given the time it can take to export and import data schema changes can otherwise be a barrier to adoption of new versions.

Gary

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing