grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Web services prototype done

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Web services prototype done

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>,
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Web services prototype done
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 11:40:02 +0000

The attached tar, if extracted in the grouper-ui folder and the UI rebuilt, makes available a /grouper/exportXml.do action. This presents a form with various options which is effectively an interface onto the current Grouper Xml export functionality. Be aware that you could export your whole repository - which you probably don't want to do, so experiment in a stem with relatively few children first...

I've thought about doing something like this in the past, but I've done it now just to (hopefully) help discussions around webservices. The feature is REST like, but I'm not particularly advocating we use this approach or the resulting format. This feature may be useful when talking about formats, range of options, whether there should be a relationship between current Xml import/export functionality and webservices, etc.

The underlying XmlExporter class uses the Grouper API, so the responsiveness of the new action may reflect what we can expect from other webservice approaches - though I haven't done any profiling to see if there is any extra overhead due to this approach.

Gary

--On 10 December 2007 02:54 -0500 Chris Hyzer

I did a simple web services prototype. The details are here:

https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/GrouperWG/WS+-+Proof+of+Con
cept+2007-10-2007

The original Grouper web services page is here, with updated issues and
items at bottom.
https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/GrouperWG/Grouper+-+Web+Ser
vices

Please give me any feedback. I will continue to work on it. Hopefully
we can discuss it at the next dev call.

As you mention doing a simple search for subjects it would be worth
taking into account the 1.0 Subject API. It loses 'type' as a first class

Gary, thanks for the head's up. At this point I will just call the same
methods that the UI calls, so if we fix the UI with the proper Subject
API, the web services will probably be fixed also. But lets discuss this
task a the next call to make sure the order of operations is optimal.

Kind regards,
Chris

--On 07 December 2007 03:11 -0500 Chris Hyzer

Hey grouper-devs,

I added information to the wiki based on emails and discussions we
have had recently. Note that not everything is there, only things
that seemed like they had some consensus. Let me know of additions
you would like to see, or feel free to add them yourself.

https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/GrouperWG/Grouper+-+Web+
Ser
vices

I am a grouper team member working on web services, fyi. So expect
more communications about web services in the next few weeks/months.

I will be building a prototype in Axis to do a simple Soap web service
(e.g. simple search for a subject). Then I would like to make a Rest
version of the same logic. Let me know if you have any advice or
concerns.

Kind regards,

Chris

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing