grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper 1.2.0 in production at Brown

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper 1.2.0 in production at Brown

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: "Cramton, James" <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper 1.2.0 in production at Brown
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 12:51:49 +0100

Hi James,

Comments below.

Gary

--On 30 August 2007 12:35 -0400 "Cramton, James" <> wrote:

Our user base is limited to about half a dozen instructional technology
consultants, so the UI is in limited release for this term.

What we've seen now that we're starting to get some real data is that
any future interface design for MACE Grouper needs to take common use
cases, configurability, and ACLs very seriously. For example, we
disabled the GrouperAll default permission for policy reasons. So this
is what users tend to see on the My Memberships page when they log into
MACE grouper:

[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[COURSE:TEST:0001:2007-Fall:S01: All ]
[COURSE:TEST:0001:2007-Fall:S01: Learner ]
[COURSE:TEST:0001:2007-Fall:S01: Student ]
[SERVICE:MYCONNECTION]

We have not allowed users to list the group name in the provisioned
groups to which they belong, but the UI presents them as empty strings,
rather than hiding them. For now, we're just having our course
administrators ignore My Memberships, but in time, we want students to
be able to review their memberships, and this kind of display won't work
for that purpose. Maybe there are ACL settings we can use to get these
to display better, but we're afraid of the overhead cost of applying
read ACLs to a lot of users and groups.
The UI separates the 'fetching' of objects to display from the 'rendering' of objects. MyMembership retrieves any group where the user is a member and for which the user has VIEW privilege. The list of groups is handed off to the rendering code (the View in MVC). At this point it is too late to start adding additional logic as to whether a group should be in that list.

Currently, creating a subclass of MyMembershipsRepositoryBrowser, overriding 'isValidChild' to take account of your business logic, and updating media.properties to refer to your implementation, would let you check attribute values before deciding to 'keep' a group, however, it looks like VIEW privilege should simply be removed for the subjects in question.

The UI allows a lot of flexibility in how groups are displayed. At the point where the Strut's action exercises the Grouper API to retrieve results it isn't practical to generically determine if a Group will render in a meaningful way.

We continue to find ways to
improve the display while maintaining the security model we have. An
additional concern is that once we introduce both course groups and
community, department, and ad-hoc groups, students may belong to 40 or
50 groups. This presents some real challenges in the UI.
Would you elaborate? Does this go beyond the problem of 'empty' groups.

We're also getting feedback that without membership in the wheel group,
our course administrators are only able to remove users from a group by
removing the Member privilege, which is not very intuitive.
This should not be dependant on Wheel group membership. If a user is looking at a list of direct memberships and they have update/admin privilege for the group, there should be a checkbox by each member and buttons to remove selected / all members. If you show indirect memberships you don't get the checkboxes / buttons because you can't directly remove an indirect membership.

Also, there
are several dead ends in the UI that are confusing our users by
preventing them from easily finding their way back to the group they
were using.
I'm not entirely surprised by this, but having a specific sequence of steps where things go wrong would be a big help. Do you think a drop down list of 'Recent' groups would be useful?
The new import/export functionality will need some work
before it's flexible enough to be used by our end users.
Again, specifics would be helpful.
I know there
is talk of a project to review the UI requirements. Where does that
stand these days?
Michael Gettes is coordinating this. I think we are probably a few weeks off getting feedback.

Over the next week, I will be documenting the issues we're having in
JIRA, complete with screen shots and analysis.
I look forward to seeing them.

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing