grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper 1.2.0 in production at Brown

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper 1.2.0 in production at Brown

  • From: Joy Veronneau <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper 1.2.0 in production at Brown
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 09:38:53 -0400

Hi,

We will have this same problem at Cornell (group members who get removed from the directory and then can't be deleted from a group.) Our applicants will also be members of at least one group. In addition, we have employees in our ldap directory who are deleted twice a year as they leave Cornell. While we could try to remember to delete people from groups before we remove them from the directory, I suspect that won't always happen.

Thanks,

Joy

It's worth noting, however, that we encountered an architectural issue
under the jndi person registry that we avoid by the design of our sql
person registry. We saw java exceptions in Grouper for groups that
referenced person objects that have been purged from our LDAP directory.
It seems the subject API needs to instantiate the subject before it can
remove a member of a group. But if the subject does not exist in the
directory, Grouper produces a runtime exception when it tries to
instantiate the subject. We get around this with our sql person registry
by never deleting people from our sql registry, even if they are deleted
from our LDAP registry. We simply change their status in the sql
registry whenever it changes in the LDAP directory, so the last known
status of a deleted LDAP user is typically "deleted" in our sql
registry. For the time being, this is acceptable, but with each passing
year, our person registry will grow by 40,000 people (mostly deleted
applicants). We would prefer to use our LDAP registry as our person
source in Grouper, but before we can realistically use an LDAP person
source, we will need a means of deleting people from a group if the
person object does not exist in the directory.