grouper-dev - Grouper Hooks

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Grouper Hooks

  • From: Marcus Dübois <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Grouper Hooks
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 13:26:06 +0200

(Continuing the discussion about Grouper Hooks here)

The general idea:
To make it possible for a code base outside grouper-api to be able to register listeners and receive events
on changes to the grouper system.

What we have so far:
Using AspectJ we have written an aspect that weaves into grouper- api.jar enhancing it with hooks
on all method calls made to Group, Stem and Member, both before and after each method call. Further
we made a simple factory and a logging listener that writes every event out to a log file.

This is only a prototype, but it proves that it's relatively easy to hook into the grouper-api.

The future:
I think we need to decide on how to proceed on this. There are some design issues we need to solve
such as deciding on an interface that the listeners will implement and what kind of data they will
receive: strings, grouper objects, wrapped objects or something entirely different?
I also think we should discuss the possibility of removing all logging code and handling that with an
aspect due to the fact that it'll further enhance separation of concerns and make for a clean design.
Finally I'd like to make it possible to build the project with maven2. Maven works side by side with
ant so it'll still be possible to use that but maven adds some great things to the whole build cycle.

Wow, a lot of questions... So what do you guys think? Is this the way to go? How can we proceed on this?

If you have any interest in testing the prototype, looking at the source code etc I think Tom or Jessica can
post a link to it?

Cheers Marcus