grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Hello from Duke

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Hello from Duke

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Hello from Duke
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 15:59:49 -0500

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing wrote:
7. The xml-import takes about 3-4 days for us and requires 4 GB of
memory allocated to the Java process.

It appears that the current DOM-based xml import/export approach does not
scale. We (ie, the grouper-dev community) should settle on an
alternative. Other JAXB-supported xml processing modes? A gsh-based
approach?
I think we need to understand better where the problem lies. i.e. how much time is spent parsing the XML and figuring out which API calls to make vs making the API calls. I`m sure another approach will be called for but we should understand what we will gain by changing the current one.

Good point - I was leaping prematurely to a conclusion. Can you recommend a reasonable means to determine where the time is being spent? And the amount of ram needed to complete the operation is also an issue. Can you propose a way to observe how that is allocated?