grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Deleting stems?

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Deleting stems?

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Deleting stems?
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:16:18 +0100

--On 27 March 2005 10:33 -0800 blair christensen

On 2005.03.18 14:41, GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing wrote:
The 'conditional stem deletion' was heading in a more liberal direction
- allowing a non system principal to delete a stem - subject to
site-specific rules. An important feature of Grouper is the ability to
devolve management of groups and having to call the administrator to
tidy up mistakes / re-thinks on stem naming will get frustrating all
round.

I agree. I'd like to avoid adding in special cases and niches for
where delegated and devolved group management does not apply.

Most of the difficulties around stems arise because of what can be
nested in a stem. If a stem is empty there is no real problem deleting
it(?), so we should at least support deletion of an empty stem - this
would allow small parts of the hierarchy to be removed manually which
should satisfy the majority of users.

And this is now officially supported (and tested).

A separate utility to do more fundamental changes would be a good idea -
and could wait until after v0.6.

What constitutes "more fundamental changes"?
I had in mind renaming or removing stems (if only by deletion and recreation). Also, deleting a branch of a hierarchy which has many nested stems and groups would be painfully slow by hand. Rather than have each site write its own tools for these types of changes by building on the delete stem capability it may make sense to develop a single tool. I don't think we have to worry too much about this now, however, such a tool will be invaluable once sites are in production. We can wait until people actually request a tool -or some one creates something and is willing to contribute it!

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing