grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Deleting stems?

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Deleting stems?

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Deleting stems?
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:41:23 +0000

The 'conditional stem deletion' was heading in a more liberal direction - allowing a non system principal to delete a stem - subject to site-specific rules. An important feature of Grouper is the ability to devolve management of groups and having to call the administrator to tidy up mistakes / re-thinks on stem naming will get frustrating all round.

Most of the difficulties around stems arise because of what can be nested in a stem. If a stem is empty there is no real problem deleting it(?), so we should at least support deletion of an empty stem - this would allow small parts of the hierarchy to be removed manually which should satisfy the majority of users.

A separate utility to do more fundamental changes would be a good idea - and could wait until after v0.6.

Gary

--On 18 March 2005 08:06 -0600 Tom Barton

Rather than putting stem deletion or even more sophisticated conditional
stem deletion into the API, to be used only by a system principal, can we
aim instead to provide a contributed utility that Group Registry
designers and operators can use to clean things up?

If that is reasonable from all perspectives, should we slot that for
sometime after v0.6?

Tom

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing wrote:
I'm fairly sure that when I've asked about deleting stems that this has
been seen as problematical - I may have STEM privilege on
/uob/faculties, but not on /uob/faculties/artf/fren - or ADMIN privilege
on any groups in between.

Renaming stems has similar problems - and there is the technical issue
of updating the stem attribute and displayName for all children in the
hierarchy.

My feeling is that the System user probably ought to be able to delete /
move stems - and force deletion / movement of child stems and groups
recursively. When a repository is being designed it will be a real
nuisance if mistakes / changes of policies can't be rectified.

So far in the UI I have included a delete stem option, however, if there
are > 100 children I don't allow it. Ideally, institutions ought to
decide their own policy. One way of doing this would be to add a
listener interface which has access to all children that would be
deleted and can veto deletion.

Gary

--On 17 March 2005 12:31 -0800 blair christensen

While cleaning up the Grouper test suite as part of making some larger
changes I realized that the API currently allows stems to be deleted.
I had *thought* we would allow groups to be deleted via the API but
not stems. Unfortunately, I'm failing to find this stated anywhere.

Is this a bug or is my recollection incorrect?