grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Deleting stems?

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Deleting stems?

  • From: blair christensen <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Deleting stems?
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 06:39:21 -0800

On 2005.03.27 15:14, Tom Barton wrote:
> Although grouper models stems as groups, I don't think we've ever
> discussed whether access privs would apply to them and what they might
> mean. Since naming privs only are associated with stems, shouldn't we
> use one of those to determine stem-delete privilege? Probably STEM.

I wondered about this as well. Eventually I decided to just to use
the phase 1 specs as my guide for now. That document really needs
to be updated. I should probably try and get started on that.

One potential problem with using STEM is that one could create a stem
with CREATE and then not be able to delete the stem.

Or, as I read the spec again, maybe not.

I'll change the code to look for STEM, not ADMIN. Although, is it STEM
on the stem, the parent stem or both? This would all probably be more
clear if I had more coffee in me.

> Similar to comment above - stems-modeled-as-groups make no use of the
> members list, yes?

Stems don't use the "members" list by default but there is nothing to
prevent one from doing so. It isn't clear what stem membership really
means unless we are using it to record-and-maintain hierarchy.

But, mostly stems & groups have the same logic applied to them both for
deletion, save for the two extra bits (child stems and child groups)
for stems. It was cleaner to code it that way.