grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 26 Jan 2005, 1200EST (1700Z), 60 minutes

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 26 Jan 2005, 1200EST (1700Z), 60 minutes

  • From: blair christensen <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 26 Jan 2005, 1200EST (1700Z), 60 minutes
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 07:14:48 -0800

On 2005.01.27 14:56, GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing wrote:
> The sort of things that I am thinking of are dependent attributes e.g. a
> unit of study may belong to a department which belongs to a faculty. I need
> to check that each individual unit_code, dept_code and faculty_code exist,
> but also that dept_code is valid given the faculty_code and that unit_code
> is valid given the dept_code. Group types might 'modify' the validation.

That helps, thanks.

> I can't think of anything else at the moment. The key thing is that it
> occurs in the API rather than say the UI since a Loader should be subject
> to the same validation.

I agree.

> One way of achieving this would be to treat the above as events and to
> register listeners which can veto the action.

This is what I've been thinking in the abstract. I haven't quite moved
on to how to do this specifically for Grouper. Are there other apps or
libraries that do something like this that would serve as a good model?
I admit I haven't looked yet.

> It would be nice to have the group + attribute assignment be an atomic
> process otherwise we could end up with a lot of half finished groups i.e.
> all the important attributes might not be set.

I agree.

> The same may be true of adding members e.g.
> listAddVals(GrouperSession s, List groupMembers).

I already had that slated for addition.

And now for the obligatory question: where would you (and others on the
list) rank the addition of external data validators on the priority
list?