grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 26 Jan 2005, 1200EST (1700Z), 60 minutes

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 26 Jan 2005, 1200EST (1700Z), 60 minutes

  • From: blair christensen <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 26 Jan 2005, 1200EST (1700Z), 60 minutes
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 08:50:56 -0800

On 2005.01.26 10:20, GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing wrote:
> If there is time I would like to start a discussion about data validation.
> It is relevant to base groups / stems since a site may want to apply its
> own business rules as to valid names, but becomes more important with
> custom groups where complex rules may apply to combinations of attribute
> values.

Yeah, I know I've been punting on this one so far but we should
probably get the discussion started.

Do you have any specific examples of validation that you may want or
need to do? That may help frame the requirements.

> Where do we put hooks to allow site specific validation?

Some things that come to mind that sites *may* want to apply custom
validation policies to:
- Stem creation (name)
- Group creation (name)
- Attribute add|mod|del
- Member addition (restrict membership to certain subject types?)

Anything else?

> create(GrouperSession s, java.lang.String stem, java.lang.String extension,
> java.lang.String type, List attributes)

This, or something like it, is a possibility.

This reminds that an earlier incarnation of Grouper during the months
before 0.5 would have made this trivial -- while making a lot of other
things harder.