comanage-users - [comanage-users] PHP 5.4 error in comanage 3.2

Subject: COmanage Users List

[comanage-users] PHP 5.4 error in comanage 3.2

  • From: Benjeman Meekhof <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [comanage-users] PHP 5.4 error in comanage 3.2
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2019 13:52:03 -0500

This may not qualify as a bug so much as a version-requirements
adjustment so I'll just bring it up and see where things land or if I
misunderstand the error. Using PHP 5.4 (stock on RHEL7) the following
ends up generating an error and rendering page fails:

menuUser.ctp line 201:
if (!empty(array_keys($menuContent['plugins']))) {

"PHP Fatal error: Can't use function return value in write context in
/srv/comanage/comanage-test/app/View/Elements/menuUser.ctp on line
201"

https://github.com/Internet2/comanage-registry/blob/master/app/View/Elements/menuUser.ctp#L201

As I understand it this would be ok in 5.5+ but the version
requirements for comanage indicate that 5.4 is ok (even if 5.6+ is
strongly recommended). It would be nice if 5.4 remained supported
while it is still the 'stock' supported version being shipped with
RHEL7 but maybe that's not feasible given how old it is.

thanks,
Ben