comanage-users - Re: [comanage-users] Custom user attributes

Subject: COmanage Users List

Re: [comanage-users] Custom user attributes

  • From: Benn Oshrin <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [comanage-users] Custom user attributes
  • Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2017 08:11:36 -0400
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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

On 9/7/17 4:20 PM, Benjeman Meekhof wrote:

> I'm looking to add some custom attributes to CO person identities.
> Some self-service, some populated from external sources (maybe via
> REST API). From everything I have read and tried this seems
> impossible to do easily. Here's what I think I know:

By way of background, extended attributes were always intended to be a
simple and quick method of extending the data model, with more
sophisticated requirements requiring the use of a custom plug-in. With
that said, more comments below...

> - Extended attributes are limited to 32 character strings or other
> not-useful-to-me data types. Also it appears they are not allowed to
> be self-serviced by CO people.

The limitation of extended attributes datatypes stems from the limited
number of datatypes that are available in SQL across database
implementations. Extended attributes attach to the CO Person Role
record, which has no provision for self-service at the moment.

The internal implementation of extended attributes has turned out to be
problematic for various reasons, and we are currently considering
replacing it with a new approach.

https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/CO-1478

We would be interested in any comments or suggestions, which can be
added directly to that ticket.

> - Adding an extended Identifier type almost seems like the right track
> but I can't make this self-service once the user is enrolled.

Although this ticket doesn't yet have a fix version, we expect
self-service capabilities for identifiers to be available in 3.1.0:

https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/CO-1255

(The initial commit could be made in the next couple of weeks as part of
a larger effort.)

> - Organization identifiers seem like they could work for part of what
> I want also but can't be self-service.
>
> The idea here is I just want all potential information to be easily
> viewable and/or editable under the CO person identity interface. For
> one example, I'd like them to be able to associate a CILogon subject
> string with an identity in our CO not unlike an SSH key can be
> associated already.

As part of CO-1446, a Certificate model similar to the SshKey model will
be introduced in 3.1.0. (It will probably support subject and issuer
DNs, and not the full certificate, at least initially.)

> Or another: I'll be writing some new service
> provisioning plugins. I'd like the credentials for those services to
> be available to the user in the COmanage identity web interface so
> they can plug them in to where they need them.

What do you mean by "credentials"? Is that different than the items
(such as certificates) already mentioned?

> What are my options here for extending the person fields/attributes?
> It's looking very much like my only option is writing a plugin to
> provide a new view.

Right now, that's probably correct, although it sounds like many of your
use cases will be solved at various points in upcoming releases.

There's also this related request

https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/CO-1474

although the specifics mentioned in that ticket seem like they would be
addressed by the proposal for better cluster account management (CO-866).

Thanks,

-Benn-