wg-pic - PIC WG Call on Thursday August 13th, 2009, 4pm

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

PIC WG Call on Thursday August 13th, 2009, 4pm

  • From: "Callahan, Tim" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: PIC WG Call on Thursday August 13th, 2009, 4pm
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 10:28:07 -0400
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

All,

Please join us for our bi-weekly call today.  We will discuss the challenges and possible solutions in developing our trusted server connections.  I would like to discuss options including how to fix Openfire cert issues vs. the value in migrating to another server that is already “fixed” (if they exist).  If possible (i.e., depending on who can attend), I’d like to discuss the challenges of connecting to Google Talk securely.

We’ll also review and update our existing to-do tasks with a focus on the Fall MM.

Perhaps this has come up before, but I found a listserv for for .edu IM admins.  Discussions include some of the same challenges that we’re currently trying to solve.

https://lists.wisc.edu/read/?forum=hied-imadmin

I’ve added a few things to the Wiki this week:

Under the cookbook, I’ve added “Useful Links”

https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/picwg/Useful+links

and a page for compatible Jabber/XMPP deployments (it’s a start, but we need help populating it)

https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/picwg/XMPP+Jabber+deployments

In our private group section, I’ve added “Fringe Benefits of using Jabber XMPP”

https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/picwg/Fringe+Benefits+of+using+Jabber+XMPP

This is intended to show useful plug-ins or apps that utilize Jabber/XMPP, especially if they work using our configuration.  There’s also a section for interesting XMPP extensions (perhaps for our future work?)

Talk to you soon,

-Tim

** In addition to the audio call, there is a chatroom.

To join the jabber chatroom for PIC during the call, point your jabber client to

-----

Starting Time: 4:00 PM US/Eastern

Occurs: Every Thursday

Duration: 1 hour maximum

To join the call, do one of the following:

 a. Dial 1-734-615-7474 , 1-800-392-6130 or 1-866-411-0013

    and enter access code 0125986

 b. To have the system call you, click here:

    https://edial.internet2.edu/call/0125986

Our homepage is here:

http://pic.internet2.edu

and our wiki can be found here: