wg-pic - PIC WG Call on Thursday May 21st, 4pm

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

PIC WG Call on Thursday May 21st, 4pm

  • From: "Callahan, Tim" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: PIC WG Call on Thursday May 21st, 4pm
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 13:39:50 -0400
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

All,

We will hold our bi-weekly conference call today from 3-4 Eastern.  This will be our first call after the Spring MM, so we hope to have some interesting follow up discussions, including:

-Implementing the trusted server-server network

-Stanford (welcome to the group!) has requirements for secure end-end IM communications; Share our configuration recommendations (which will included in the cookbook.)

-Other items that don’t remember right now that will come back to me during the call…

-U-Arkansas is interested in joining the project, especially for the server-server network

-Discuss other work areas for the PIC@edu project from now to the fall MM.

If you didn’t read the announcement about the fall MM…

The overarching theme for this fall's meeting is: “Collaborations and Resource Sharing in Research and Education: How the economic crisis is fueling the expansion of networking technology, fostering global communities, and driving social change.” Presentations that focus on the elements of network-based collaboration, including--but not limited to--virtual organizations, social networking, and software collaboration tools are encouraged.

… it looks like the Fall MM is right up our alley.  It looks like a good time for the project to make a splash.

In other news since the spring MM-

We know Peter wrote the book on XMPP.  He’s also *actually* written the book on XMPP, published this April.  Since I don’t recall seeing a shameless plug from Peter, I’ll do it for him –

XMPP: The Definitive Guide

Building Real-Time Applications with Jabber Technologies

By Peter Saint-Andre, Kevin Smith, Remko Tronçon

April 2009

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596521264/

See you this afternoon!

-Tim

** In addition to the audio call, there is a chatroom.

To join the jabber chatroom for PIC during the call, point your jabber client to

-----

Starting Time: 4:00 PM US/Eastern

Occurs: Every Thursday

Duration: 1 hour maximum

To join the call, do one of the following:

 a. Dial 1-734-615-7474 , 1-800-392-6130 or 1-866-411-0013

    and enter access code 0125986

 b. To have the system call you, click here:

    https://edial.internet2.edu/call/0125986

Our homepage is here:

http://pic.internet2.edu

and our wiki can be found here: