wg-pic - [wg-pic] mInutes from 1/29

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

[wg-pic] mInutes from 1/29

  • From: Elaine Lauerman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [wg-pic] mInutes from 1/29
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 17:41:23 -0500

January 29, attendees:
Mark Sirota, Elaine Lauerman, Deke Kassabian, Tim Callahan, Rodney McDuff

notes from 1/29:

Cookbook
- motivation [Tim]
- Open Fire documentation [Mark will make sure it's up to date]
- client recommendation page [Rodney]
- upload to the Internet2 wiki (paste without formatting text) [Mark]
- upload will be completed by 2/5
- 2/12 first draft of cookbook should be ready
- try to package what UPenn has, then ask others to fill in the holes
- have the cookbook repackaged by the Internet2 SMM
- look at the document Rodney put together for NeAT, feel free to use as much as text as we want [Rodney resent doc]

Website update
- pic.edu distribution
- get rid of expired information
- Deke sent info last week [elaine have posted to website]
- think about other projects that would be of interest to the community, bring to the group
for discussion then post to the website.

SMM
- rooms names are the same as last year's SMM [Jorj to revise if necessary]
- submit a request for side meeting for late afternoon [Elaine]
- side meeting session should have a mic in the room
- Rodney would like participate if we meet late afternoon.
**look into USB Chat50 speakerphone (we could use for future meetings too) [Elaine]
** use Second LIfe as the virtual meeting space? (would be a high degree of difficulty)
** remote participants will be few

Potential partnerships:
- Shibboleth  [Tim leading discussion]
* is this a direction we'd like to move to?
* have discussion during the SMM
* who should we invite someone to join a call? Scott Cantor or Steve Carmody?
* Scott Logan from Stanford Co-manage package (Deke and Tim had a conversation with him)
* what are the advantages we'd hope to get from it?
* good discussion for SMM but not a priority at this time

- We'll meet next Thursday 2/5 to make sure that the Cookbook tasks are getting
done.  After that we may meet every other week.