wg-pic - PIC WG Call on Thursday January 29nd, 4pm EST

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

PIC WG Call on Thursday January 29nd, 4pm EST

  • From: "Callahan, Tim" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: PIC WG Call on Thursday January 29nd, 4pm EST
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 10:22:38 -0500
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

All,

We will hold a PIC working group call today.

1)      A happy coincidence to last week’s discussion of using Second Life for collaboration – this week, Linden Labs is hosting an education support faire.  Note that it only runs through 1-30 (tomorrow).

“The goal of the Faire is to bring together educators, academics, and students to explore the support mechanisms available to Residents who use Second Life to enhance real world educational efforts.”

http://blog.secondlife.com/2009/01/23/education-support-faire-opens-this-weekend/

If you already have an account, here’s the link to teleport to the faire:

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Supporte/151/152/36

2)      Using Second Life for collaboration:

I noticed there is a standalone viewer for text/chat which enables users to communicate without the 3D virtual environment, like a traditional chat application.  Perhaps others in the group can discuss their experiences with this app on today’s call?

From http://secondlife.com/support/downloads.php

SLim First Look Viewer

The Second Life SLim First Look Viewer is designed to work with SLim, our lightweight text and voice chat application. SLim allows you to text or voice chat with your SL Friends without having the SL viewer open.

I finally took the plunge and setup a Second Life account-

Thanks!

-Tim

-------------------------

Join the PIC Working Group groupchat:

Starting Time: 4:00 PM US/Eastern

Occurs: Every Thursday

Duration: 1 hour maximum

To join the call, do one of the following:

  a. Dial 1-734-615-7474 or 1-866-411-0013

     and enter access code 0125986

  b. To have the system call you, click here:

     https://edial.internet2.edu/call/0125986

  • PIC WG Call on Thursday January 29nd, 4pm EST, Callahan, Tim, 01/29/2009