wg-pic - Meeting notes from - [wg-pic] PIC WG Call on Thursday September 18, 4pm EDT

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Meeting notes from - [wg-pic] PIC WG Call on Thursday September 18, 4pm EDT

  • From: Elaine Lauerman <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Meeting notes from - [wg-pic] PIC WG Call on Thursday September 18, 4pm EDT
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 17:56:47 -0400

* In addition to the audio call, there is a chatroom.
To join the jabber chatroom for PIC during the call, point your jabber client to

-----

Starting Time: 4:00 PM US/Eastern
Occurs: Every Thursday
Duration: 1 hour maximum

To join the call, do one of the following:
a. Dial 1-734-615-7474 , 1-800-392-6130 or 1-866-411-0013
   and enter access code 0125986
b. To have the system call you, click here:
   https://edial.internet2.edu/call/0125986

Our homepage is here:
http://pic.internet2.edu

and our wiki can be found here:
https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/picwg/Home

Please try to make the call we have several items that need to be discussed for
our Fall Member Meeting participation.

Attendees 9/17: Rodney McDuff,  Deke Kassabian,  Elaine Lauerman,  Jorj Bauer, Mark Sirota

Development
9/18: server up and running. Jorj is in the process of configuring the server.

Who will provide admin coverage for meeting? Rodney will do some but may be a little difficult with time difference.  Tim will
be onsite so he can provide some support. Darian or Mark may be able to assist too.

Jorj update: open fire server online and running - picdemo.internet2.edu

clients:
Deke will contact Tim to see what clients he recommends.  We need to decide by next Thursday's meeting (9/25).
JWChat - web client and primary client (send feedback to Jorj)

Mac OS X: iChat and Adium

Windows: Pidgin

Tim wanted to use PSI but he'd have to write up documentation

Action: Elaine have the url changed url name to reference fmm.

goal client doc for next weeks meeting?

Don't know whether Penn's experience or documentation plays into our decision for the PIC demo service.  I guess a question we have to ask is who will be there at the FMM to support the demo in person.  I'll be there, but I'm no expert on clients and I'd be glad to not be tied to the help table this time.

Also, I think we are all hoping that there'll be a web client we can recommend, and perhaps one for the most common handhelds.  Can anyone say where we stand on those?

Logistics
If we decide we want to have a survey again
* get feedback on demo
* review and update SMM survey
* what would they like to the group to improve upon, member meeting demo/on campus.
* more capabilities with the PIC demo at MM and on campus

- identity management id
*enable users to be able to create their own acct on our server
* get the PIC.edu package out so people can try and use their jabber id

web client server sw needs to be installed first. rodney has some
experience with this.

The following are deadlines for the FMM:

- website installation instructions 9/12
email exchange on what we will support before next call. pointer back to PIC demo - PSI client,
- pocket program 9/16
elaine - pointer to what we used last time (DONE)
- signs 10/1
- initial program to printer 10/1

Review web content for installation instructions http://pic.internet2.edu/trials/200804-trial.html

- general plan is to repeat the SMM

After Member Meeting focus on :

Locate the list of schools already using Jabber servers.
Add this list to the PIC landing page (Deke and Tim to look for list)
add list to website (from Deke)

Look at the Educause list to see which schools are interoperable - Tim

After FMM prep work done we need to focus on getting the cookbook finished
Darian will update with Penn's notes.
Duke - Mark Macayhill (sp?), ?
Wisc - Jessie willing to participate
MIT -  Dennis and Mark Silis
Washington - contact name?

Any questions regarding the minutes, contact Elaine Lauerman.

--elaine