wg-pic - Re: [wg-pic] PIC WG Call on Thursday June 5th, 4pm EDT

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Re: [wg-pic] PIC WG Call on Thursday June 5th, 4pm EDT

  • From: Jesse Thompson <>
  • To: , IM Administration in Higher Education <>
  • Subject: Re: [wg-pic] PIC WG Call on Thursday June 5th, 4pm EDT
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 10:23:18 -0500
  • Jabber-id:

cross-posting on hied-imadmin list...

Mark P. McCahill wrote:
> 1.) Would listing who is running which jabber server software be useful?
>
> I'm curious at what current practice is, and what scale people are
> using the various servers. At Duke we are currently running eJabberd 2.0.1

ejabberd 1.1.4

> 2.) Is anyone else looking at this sort of broad deployment of
> persistent chatrooms?
>
> We are gearing up to offer pre-built chatrooms for each section of all
> the courses we offer. We are not sure how many instructors will choose
> to use this, but it hopefully will be a significantly larger scale that
> what we have been using. We've been doing some testing at the scale of
> 2000 users doing 4000 messages/minute with 2000 presence notifications,
> and our hardware seems happy. We still need to figure out a way to
> simulate a large number of chatrooms.

The vast majority of rooms will not be used, and I suspect that client
service discovery will choke when loading an index of thousands of rooms.

So, I'm taking a different approach. The idea is to create the rooms on
the fly; the room is created when the first person joins, and it is
destroyed when the last person leaves. I'm still working on some of the
implementation details, but basically it will consist of a web page that
lists the students' classes, and when they click on a class, a bot will
send out a muc invitation to the user to join the room. This has the
extra benefit of being client/server agnostic.

This is still a work in progress, so I don't know how well it will
actually work.

Jesse

--
Jesse Thompson