wg-pic - Some thoughts about JIDs and the Spring I2MM.

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Some thoughts about JIDs and the Spring I2MM.

  • From: Rodney McDuff <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Some thoughts about JIDs and the Spring I2MM.
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 15:20:42 +1000

Hi All
For a shibbolize XMPP account registration service (gotta find a
acronym for that) I been thinking about cake; namely how to eat my cake
and keep it aswell. For this argument lets assume that the JID domain we
use for the demo is xmpp.internet2.edu (which by the way is free). A
simple way to go forward is that once a person has logged into the
registration service they'll pick a name like 'bob' (that hasn't been
used yet) and their JID will be
''.
While we might
be patting ourselves on the backs re 'leveraging federated identity
management' will people get it. Whats the difference between
''
and
''
especially as we can't at
this stage use a person institutional credentials login the jabber server.

Perhaps we can recover some of the 'leveraging federated identity
management' brownie points by get an institution asserted value for the
username part of the JID; rather that it being self-asserted by the
user. One possibility is that we request an email address (or
eduPersonPrincipleName) attribute from the person's IdP; say for example
''.
The constructed JID for this case could be
'deke%'.
This may look a bit ugly but it
definitely implies that we are talking about a 'deke' at the University
of Pennsylvania.

--
Dr. Rodney G. McDuff |Ex ignorantia ad sapientiam
Manager, Strategic Technologies Group| Ex luce ad tenebras

TELEPHONE: +61 7 3365 8220 |