wg-pic - Re: [wg-pic] Spring member meeting demo request from the PIC Working Group

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Re: [wg-pic] Spring member meeting demo request from the PIC Working Group

  • From: "Randy Stout" <>
  • To: "Tim Callahan" <>
  • Cc: <>, "James Werle" <>
  • Subject: Re: [wg-pic] Spring member meeting demo request from the PIC Working Group
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:20:16 -0600

I would like to encourage the K20 group to participate in this demonstration.  People in the K20 group have been requesting something like this for our meetings.  Could I hold a spot early on our agenda Monday, April 21 for someone from the wg to do an overview and Q&A?
Randy
>>> On 1/17/2008 at 1:56 PM, in message <>, "Callahan, Timothy" <> wrote:
For the spring 2008 Internet2 member meeting, The PIC working group
would like to host a demo of the PIC.EDU project.

For the demo, we would like to enable Internet2 members to access a
PIC.EDU server over the network.  The server will run a PIC.EDU
configuration of a chat/chatroom server which will allow real-time text
communication with PIC related features.  We would like to enable
chatrooms which parallel the major sessions and meetings during the
conference, and expect to keep them available over the entire course of
the member meeting.  The demo may include a Shibboleth component for
account generation.  We will be happy to provide more technical details.

We hope to generate interest in the project through exposure to it.  We
also hope that the demo will provide a useful service to foster
communication between members with similar interests throughout the
conference.  Little to no technical help will be needed to operate the
demo. If there is a local network, we may need access to a network port.
If there is a firewall on the conference network, we will need to
coordinate with the network administrator to open ports.  We will need
help from Internet2 staff who are planning the conference in order to
share information about the demo with attendees. Information to be
shared should include a description of the demo, server access and
account generation information, software client requirements, technical
details, and follow up information.  We anticipate that some of this
information will need to be made available on the conference web site
and through brochures, program guides, and other printed information
that will be available on-site for the conference.

Please let us know how to proceed.

Thank You,
Tim Callahan
PIC WG Chair