wg-pic - Re: [wg-pic] iFIND at MIT

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Re: [wg-pic] iFIND at MIT

  • From: Candace Holman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [wg-pic] iFIND at MIT
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 23:33:51 -0500

Here's some press on the project:

Searching for your MIT mate? Try iFind
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6143843.html?tag=nl.r18812

The article says that they hope to release the open-source iFind client under the GNU General Public License so that any school or group network can use it. Nice!

Candace

Dennis Baron wrote:

wrote:
What location technology is used?

It's basically a Java thing with Place Lab under the cover.

wrote:
1) Is there any existing or planned directory server integration?

2) Any plans to tie it into insideMIT in the future?

3) Any thoughts on relationship to XMPP/Jabber for IM?

4) Any planned connection to VoIP/Asterisk or Video Conferencing?

This is a research project from a group that are I'd loosely call urban
planners. We're working with them to figure out how to incorporate their work
into future campus services. For me one of the key challenges will be how to
package services in a way that will be easy for users to start using; won't
require that everybody use the same interfaces while still allowing
communications between them; and allow for the customization to support personal communications preferences that facilitate and control access and presence status.

So the 1 through 4 are certainly among the things we'd like to see and
we're trying to figure out the right approach - what order you build
things - and how they all tie together.

Dennis