wg-pic - Re: [wg-pic] Re: [Rice SOA grant]

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Re: [wg-pic] Re: [Rice SOA grant]

  • From: Peter Saint-Andre <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [wg-pic] Re: [Rice SOA grant]
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 10:07:52 -0600
  • Jabber-id:

FWIW, at OSCON a few months back I chatted with a guy from IBM who was
using XMPP as the glue for their service component architecture:

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/specification/ws-sca/

/psa

Neal McBurnett wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 07:48:40AM +0200, Leif Johansson wrote:
>> RL 'Bob' Morgan wrote:
>>> The PR below came by today. I think the interesting part is at the
>>> end, where
>>>
>>> This SOA will provide a working integration layer that ties together
>>> disparate applications of interest and importance to higher education,
>>> using IBM's WebSphere Enterprise Service Bus (ESB).
>>>
>>> So, hmm, maybe it's about getting people to buy WebSphere ...
>>>
>>> But I've been interested for quite a while in working examples of ESB
>>> (aka MOM, event/message-queue, pubsub etc) kinda stuff in university
>>> settings, since I'd like to be in our middleware agenda at some point.
>>>
>>> I asked Barry Ribbeck, who most of us know. He said it's his group
>>> but he doesn't know much but could get interested people in touch with
>>> those who do. I asked for a writeup. If others are interested a call
>>> could be put together.
>>>
>>> Also interesting I suppose that IBM is jumping into this in a
>>> Mellon-like fashion.
>>>
>>> - RL "Bob"
>>>
>>> ---
>>>
>>> IBM Awards Rice $700K for Shared University Research Project
>>>
>>> Rice University and IBM have announced they will collaborate on the
>>> development of an open-standards-based service-oriented architecture
>>> (SOA)
>>> that will help higher education institutions tie together their
>>> increasingly
>>> diverse academic software applications.
>>>
>>> "In academia today, discrete, open-source, academic applications such as
>>> courseware management systems, digital libraries and content commons are
>>> becoming central to the life of a university," said Kamran Khan, vice
>>> provost for information technology. "It is important to tie these
>>> stand-alone applications together into a more coherent whole."
>>>
>>> IBM's gift will enable Rice to collaborate in the research and
>>> development
>>> of an open-standards-based SOA for higher education called the Rice Open
>>> Collaborative Learning Environment (Open-CLE). Rice will provide a
>>> working
>>> demonstration environment to validate the approach.
>>>
>>> A service-oriented architecture, or SOA, enables computers to share
>>> data and
>>> tasks among disparate applications, helping an organization to more
>>> closely
>>> align technology with business goals. In academia, an SOA also enables
>>> each
>>> member of a group of institutions to create its own suite of tools to
>>> support particular research, collaboration and learning needs. Providing
>>> such integration and customization is critical if open-standards-based
>>> environments are to become a viable alternative for meeting the needs of
>>> higher education institutions around the world.
>>>
>>> Rice University and IBM will collaborate to design an SOA for Rice's
>>> Open-CLE. This SOA will allow individual educational and research
> [...]

  • Re: [Rice SOA grant], Neal McBurnett, 10/12/2006
    • Re: [wg-pic] Re: [Rice SOA grant], Peter Saint-Andre, 10/13/2006