wg-pic - Re: [Rice SOA grant]

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Re: [Rice SOA grant]

  • From: Neal McBurnett <>
  • To: Leif Johansson <>
  • Cc: MACE <>, wg-pic <>
  • Subject: Re: [Rice SOA grant]
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 11:09:01 -0600

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 07:48:40AM +0200, Leif Johansson wrote:
> RL 'Bob' Morgan wrote:
> >
> > The PR below came by today. I think the interesting part is at the
> > end, where
> >
> > This SOA will provide a working integration layer that ties together
> > disparate applications of interest and importance to higher education,
> > using IBM's WebSphere Enterprise Service Bus (ESB).
> >
> > So, hmm, maybe it's about getting people to buy WebSphere ...
> >
> > But I've been interested for quite a while in working examples of ESB
> > (aka MOM, event/message-queue, pubsub etc) kinda stuff in university
> > settings, since I'd like to be in our middleware agenda at some point.
> >
> > I asked Barry Ribbeck, who most of us know. He said it's his group
> > but he doesn't know much but could get interested people in touch with
> > those who do. I asked for a writeup. If others are interested a call
> > could be put together.
> >
> > Also interesting I suppose that IBM is jumping into this in a
> > Mellon-like fashion.
> >
> > - RL "Bob"
> >
> > ---
> >
> > IBM Awards Rice $700K for Shared University Research Project
> >
> > Rice University and IBM have announced they will collaborate on the
> > development of an open-standards-based service-oriented architecture
> > (SOA)
> > that will help higher education institutions tie together their
> > increasingly
> > diverse academic software applications.
> >
> > "In academia today, discrete, open-source, academic applications such as
> > courseware management systems, digital libraries and content commons are
> > becoming central to the life of a university," said Kamran Khan, vice
> > provost for information technology. "It is important to tie these
> > stand-alone applications together into a more coherent whole."
> >
> > IBM's gift will enable Rice to collaborate in the research and
> > development
> > of an open-standards-based SOA for higher education called the Rice Open
> > Collaborative Learning Environment (Open-CLE). Rice will provide a
> > working
> > demonstration environment to validate the approach.
> >
> > A service-oriented architecture, or SOA, enables computers to share
> > data and
> > tasks among disparate applications, helping an organization to more
> > closely
> > align technology with business goals. In academia, an SOA also enables
> > each
> > member of a group of institutions to create its own suite of tools to
> > support particular research, collaboration and learning needs. Providing
> > such integration and customization is critical if open-standards-based
> > environments are to become a viable alternative for meeting the needs of
> > higher education institutions around the world.
> >
> > Rice University and IBM will collaborate to design an SOA for Rice's
> > Open-CLE. This SOA will allow individual educational and research
> > applications to "talk" with each other. Rice's largest open standards
> [...]

Ahh - MoM == "Message Oriented Middleware". Cool.
Looks like you have a description of it at "XMPP as MOM" -
http://people.su.se/~leifj/xmpp.pdf

Note that and other JEPs are now freshly rebranded from a "Jabber"
Extension Protocol (JEP) to an XMPP Extension Protocols (XEP):

XEP-0060: Publish-Subscribe http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0060.html

The Internet2 wg-pic - Working Group on Presence and Integrated Communications
has been meeting Thursdays (next time is today, 4 PM Eastern time.)
A recent focus has been server and client support for extended presence.

I'm CC'ing wg-pic on this mail.

See http://pic.internet2.edu/ and visit
xmpp:

Cheers,