wg-pic - federation/presence question

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

federation/presence question

  • From: Jeremy George <>
  • To: PIC working group <>
  • Cc: Jeremy George <>
  • Subject: federation/presence question
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:47:32 -0400 (EDT)

For sundry reasons I've been re-reading last fall's Reconnections
workshop report (http://security.internet2.edu/rtp/docs/
internet2-reconnections-proceedings-200603.html) . Under the THEMES
heading there is a sub-heading on Federation.

The first sentence is about federation and the second is, in effect,
about presence. I guess I'm very late to the party in wondering about
the relationship between federation and presence? Is federation presence
writ large (or vice versa)?

How does the social tussle play into this? Are there architectural
interplay considerations between the federation and presence? E.g.,
should a federation between my employer and some other enterprise affect
my presence?

I realize I've been away from the party for awhile. Has this all been
hashed out? Anyone got a pointer to the answers?

- Jeremy