wg-pic - Re: [wg-pic] commercial 802.11 location tracking products

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Re: [wg-pic] commercial 802.11 location tracking products

  • From: Jamey Hicks <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [wg-pic] commercial 802.11 location tracking products
  • Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 08:41:53 -0500

Steve Blair wrote:

Jamey:

Have you done any research into sensor pricing? We've looked at several
products including ones from Airwave. They all use either AP or iPAQ
hardware and therefore cost about $400-$800. To get accuracy we
believe we need a dense deployment of sensors but we cannot deploy
such a sensor network at these prices.

I have not looked into pricing. I believe that they are pricing relative to an enterprise-grade access point, so $400-$800 is what I would expect. To drop below that, I think you would need to use something like a Linksys access point that runs Linux. These cost $50-$100. Kismet and prismstumbler are open source wifi sniffing packages that might be good starting points to use with this approach.