wg-pic - Today's call

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Today's call

  • From: Jeremy George <>
  • To: PIC working group <>
  • Subject: Today's call
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 10:02:44 -0500 (EST)

Good morning all,

It's been a couple of weeks of general chewing on directions for the
group. After the FMM we came up with this list.

1) Trial continuation
2) UA development
3) Publishing
4) Long term trials (Paths in the snow)
5) versioning/packaging ?

I think it's time we set a focus for the next 3-6 months and head back
into what we apparently do well, work toward a well-defined goal.

In brief, versioning/packaging is being worked on by Candace/Jamie as a
subproject. The next reasonable opportunity for a trial is probably
the '05 SMM and we probably wouldn't crank up for that until early March.
UA development may come up as a possibility but probably not right now.

That leaves paths-in-the-snow and publishing. From the beginning my
argument for PIC has been that many campus decision makers see VoIP as a construction project and they have little idea that IP communications
is going to be an ongoing project for the foreseeable future. Long
lived trials that would feedback how users actually want to communicate
could be very valuable. So, I suggest we focus here.

Let's have the discussion today and see if we can reach consensus. If
we do, then I'd like to tease out what would actually be needed to
build a kind of generic proposal. Publishing (or writing of some sort)
is likely so items 3 & 4 seem to merge. Then we can see about hunting
for specific implementations (i.e., hospitals, dorms, classes) and how
to go about writing grant applications.

If you can, please join us today.

- Jeremy

Starting Time: 4:00 PM US/Eastern
Occurs: Every Thursday Duration: 1 hour maximum

To join the call, do one of the following:
a. Dial +1-734-531-0125 or +1-800-541-1710 and enter access code 0125986
b. To have the system call you, click here:
https://edial.internet2.edu/call/0125986