wg-pic - PocketVideo announcement - ResearchChannel/Internet2 Working Group

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

PocketVideo announcement - ResearchChannel/Internet2 Working Group

  • From: Bob Riddle <>
  • To: , , ,
  • Subject: PocketVideo announcement - ResearchChannel/Internet2 Working Group
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:21:04 -0400

Let me try this again ... because I left the pointer to the archives pointing to the bigvideo archives ...sigh (thanks, Egon)  This is the last announcement - I promise!

Pocket Video Project Group

The "Pocket Video" project group will test, experiment, develop and integrate various elements to share knowledge using interactive video on handheld devices over the Internet.  These devices will included iPaq, Palm Pilot, and  cellphones using suitable video/audio codecs for lower bandwidth networks.  One of the goals is to allow those who possess such devices to participate in existing collaborative sessions, such as AG, SIP, and VRVS conferencing.  Another goal is to exploit Handheld device capability in ways that extend the research & teaching missions of universities while taking advantage of readily available and affordable technology.

The following projects are currently proposed:
    - explore use of AG tools on iPaq using Familiar Linux
    - experiment with VRVS 3.0 on iPaq under WinCE
    - explore Microsoft Portrait work done by Microsoft Research
    - explore Palm Pilot resources available to support collaborative, interactive applications