wg-pic - including media type in rich presence notifications

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

including media type in rich presence notifications

  • From: Jamey Hicks <>
  • To:
  • Subject: including media type in rich presence notifications
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:37:33 -0400

This internet-draft:

User Agent Capability Extension to Presence Information Data Format
(PIDF)
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-simple-prescaps-ext-01.txt

describes an extension to the pidf format to include various capabilities of the user agent in presence notifications. Given the goals for the fall member meeting, I think it is worth adding it to the client requirements document. For backwards compatibility, UA's not supporting the <prescaps> element will assume to support both audio and text messaging unless the presence agent can figure it out from the name of the user agent.

Here is an example pidf with prescaps for a UA supporting audio, video but not text:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<presence xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:pidf"
xmlns:ext="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:simple-prescaps-ext

entity="pres:">
<tuple id="joi9877866786ua9">
<status>
<basic>open</basic>
<ext:prescaps>
<ext:video>true</ext:video>
<ext:audio>true</ext:video>
<ext:text>false</ext:text>
<ext:mobile>true</ext:mobile>
</ext:prescaps>
</status>

<contact>sip:</contact>
</tuple>
</presence>

Xiaotao: do you think you can add support for this to sipc? I don't think it will be a problem to add to the presence agent.

Jamey

  • including media type in rich presence notifications, Jamey Hicks, 07/29/2004