wg-multicast - March 23rd meeting

Subject: All things related to multicast

March 23rd meeting

  • From: Andrew Gallo <>
  • To: wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: March 23rd meeting
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 15:53:54 -0400

Greetings, multicast-wg friends:

Thank for a good conversation this afternoon. The key points I'd like to summarize at this point are:

The NGI project is effectively clean-slating network configurations, and all configurations and protocols need to be re-justified;

Internet2 has, as part of its mission, a commitment to develop technologies that advance the state of networking technology;

Production multicast traffic (to put another way, traffic that, if disrupted, would result in a call to the NOC) on the I2 network is light.

The request I made at the end of the call: let's document the use cases. The 'hard' uses cases of current, or imminent (if known) science uses workflows that use multicast on the backbone; and
the 'softer' use case of we, the I2 community, has a responsibility to maintain a testbed for protocol/application development and testing.

The second point I think specifically asked the interested industry partners and Internet2 peers to think about and communicate.

Thank you.

--
Andrew Gallo