wg-multicast - Re: A special and important note regarding ASM multicast sunsetting

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: A special and important note regarding ASM multicast sunsetting

  • From: Leonard Giuliano <>
  • To: Garret Peirce <>
  • Cc: <>, "<>" <>, "" <>, Natalie Landsberg <>, William Zhang <>, "Morasca, Peter A" <>
  • Subject: Re: A special and important note regarding ASM multicast sunsetting
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2018 12:01:47 -0700
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

This ASM sunsetting an long-needed improvement (addition through
subtraction). And I am also happy to announce the availability of an
AMT-enabled version of VLC. This means that I2 multicast content is
finally available for viewing by all Internet users:

https://github.com/Juniper/amt-vlc

To use, select File->Open Network and enter the stream you are looking for
in the format:
amt://[source_addr]@[group_addr]

Here are some live streams that are working at the moment, the 233.56.12.x
streams are the Okeanos stuff (with some stunning video now). And even
though these are all ASM streams, this VLC image handles source discovery
so they will work in this new SSM-only world (no changes needed by the
sources):

amt://
amt://
amt://
amt://
amt://
amt://
amt://
amt://

This was made possible by intern extraordinaire, Natalie Landsberg (now at
NC State), who wrote the AMT GW code for VLC. Also, William Zhang (now at
UVa) deployed and operated the AMT Relay, curated the mcast content of I2
and did some proof-of-concept AMT GW testing with VLC while at Thomas
Jefferson HS. Pete Morasca made all of this possible at TJHS and Jake
Holland at Akamai was instrumental in providing William and Natalie advice
and suggestions for AMT GW dev along the way.

We're working on creating a portal that can take William's curation
results
(https://raw.githubusercontent.com/willzhang05/senior-research/master/logs/results.txt)

and turn it into a click-friendly listing of active streams. If anyone
would like to be part of that effort, reach out to me.

Let me know if you are aware of any other interesting streams. Better yet,
if you have interesting content, start streaming it natively with
multicast and it'll be viewable to the whole Internet!

Thanks,
Lenny

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018, Garret Peirce wrote:

| Okeanos - I'll vote for it as the best interdomain ASM content to have
existed.Perhaps some yet-unknown application demand will have us scurrying to
solve its problems and call it new.
| Bon voyage iASM, I enjoyed your uniqueness.
|
| On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 11:00 AM Bill Owens
| Many of you will have seen this from I2 on other lists, but I thought
it would be good to post it here as well.

| The only active multicast user I’m aware of within NYSERNet is a faculty
member who participates with the Okeanos Explorer project, which is in port
right now but will be heading out for another mission in October. I’m going to
| contact them and let them know that unless the folks who provide the
multicast stream change it to SSM, it will become unavailable before the end
of this year.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
<>
| Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 10:49:12 AM

| Subject: A special and important note regarding ASM multicast sunsetting
|
| (PLEASE NOTE this is a special announcement from Internet2 regarding the
eventual turndown of a service. It should be passed along to the appropriate
engineering staff within your organization to determine impact.)

| To the appropriate technical personnel:
|
| Internet2, in response to community recommendations, IETF recommendations,
as well as interoperability concerns with future growth, will begin the
sunset of Interdomain Any Source Multicast (ASM).

| As part of this transition, Internet2 will coordinate with members to begin
the decommission of MSDP peerings.  This has already been occurring with
various members and we are seeing an accelerated trend since the release of
IETF
| draft-acg-mboned-deprecate-interdomain-asm-01
(https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-acg-mboned-deprecate-interdomain-asm-01.html)
 Internet2 is recommending that for the few members that still have active
ASM sources, to transition these
| to SSM.  If this is technically impractical, our technical staff can work
with your organization and your multicast subscribers to transition to
private multicast peerings, such as layer 2 circuits between receivers,
and/or the
| provisioning of private multicast VPNs (mvpns) between participants.
Internet2 will be available for feedback and questions during the 2018
Techex, October 15th 2018. Starting on October 28, Internet2 will begin
formally sending
| notification to any existing MSDP peers that a disconnect will be
scheduled. We hope to have all MSDP sessions removed by Dec 15th, 2018.

| Background:
|
| There are two well known flavors of IP multicast: Any Source Multicast
(ASM), and Source Specific Multicast (SSM).  Initially, many applications
were written to leverage ASM addressing. This was mostly due to the fact that
several
| operating systems lacked support for IGMPv3, a necessary component of SSM.
As such, autonomous network would exchange information using the Multicast
Source Discovery Protocol, or MSDP. MSDP was implemented in 2003 and has
remained
| in “experimental” status. The low demand across operators for this feature
has led to deficiencies which have not been addressed, leading to liabilities
on the Internet2 network.  These deficiencies include flooding of network
state
| information, lack of state attack protection, and undesired source
filtering.

| As time progressed, it became clear that the use case for ASM was not as
relevant in the interdomain setting.  That is, between domains, usually only
one source would send data to multiple receivers, something better suited to
SSM.
| Major operating systems have also been supporting SSM for time (Windows,
MacOS, Linux/Android). As Internet2 continues to evolve it’s network, it
became clear that our continued support of MSDP would hinder future growth,
in part by
| the lack of attention the protocol has received from vendors, resulting in
the deficiencies listed above.  In response, the IETF felt it necessary to
issue a draft BCP recommending the deprecation of Inter-domain ASM
| (draft-acg-mboned-deprecate-interdomain-asm-01). Internet2 supports the
IETF draft and believes this is the best path forward for the community.

| Please note that this does NOT mean that Internet2 will stop supporting
Interdomain Multicast; PIM SSM and IPv6 will both be supported mechanisms for
interdomain multicast applications across the Internet2 footprint.