wg-multicast - Fwd: Last Call: <draft-ietf-mboned-interdomain-peering-bcp-10.txt> (Use of Multicast Across Inter-Domain Peering Points) to Best Current Practice

Subject: All things related to multicast

Fwd: Last Call: <draft-ietf-mboned-interdomain-peering-bcp-10.txt> (Use of Multicast Across Inter-Domain Peering Points) to Best Current Practice

  • From: David Farmer <>
  • To: wg-multicast <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Fwd: Last Call: <draft-ietf-mboned-interdomain-peering-bcp-10.txt> (Use of Multicast Across Inter-Domain Peering Points) to Best Current Practice
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2017 15:59:10 -0500
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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

I think this is relevant to our recent discussions.

In particular this draft says the following, emphasis added by me;

       o As described in Section 2, the source IP address of the
         multicast stream in the originating AD (AD-1) is known. Under
         this condition, PIM-SSM use is beneficial as it allows the
         receiver's upstream router to directly send a JOIN message to
         the source without the need of invoking an intermediate
         Rendezvous Point (RP). Use of SSM also presents an improved
         threat mitigation profile against attack, as described in
         [RFC4609]. Hence, in the case of inter-domain peering, it is
         recommended to use only SSM protocols; the setup of inter-
         domain peering for ASM (Any-Source Multicast) is not in scope
         for this document.

While this is does not formally deprecate ASM, it is clear that ASM is no longer the recommended approach for inter-domain multicast and SSM is the recommended approach for inter-domain multicast.

Also there was mention of this draft about a month ago;

I'd like to encourage our community to review these drafts and comment as appropriate.  Further, I think we should seriously evaluate if inter-domain ASM is still needed by and appropriate for our community.

Thanks.