wg-multicast - Re: junos filtering msdp "reflector" originator

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: junos filtering msdp "reflector" originator

  • From: Leonard Giuliano <>
  • To: Zenon Mousmoulas <>
  • Cc: <>
  • Subject: Re: junos filtering msdp "reflector" originator
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 08:09:37 -0700

If 194.82.152.254 is originating SAs for which it hasn't received PIM
registers, then it is breaking the laws of MSDP.

Are you certain that it is not receiving registers, though? Could a bad
RP mapping misconfig or leaked BSR/AutoRP msg be making it to the DR for
62.217.124.105 such that it really is sending registers to 194.82.152.254?

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015, Zenon Mousmoulas wrote:

| Yes, that router appears to be originating SAs while it is practically
| certain that it is not the RP or the DR for the particular S,Gs and it
| has just discovered them via MSDP. So it appears to be reflecting a
| large portion of the SAs it is originating (which added up to 590 the
| last time I checked). I can't think of any case where such a behavior
| would make sense; it rather seems like misconfiguration or a bug. What
| do you think?
|
| 10 ?????? 2015, 17:03, ??/?? "Leonard Giuliano"
<>
????????????:

| > Hmm, what do you mean by "reflector"? A router should only originate an
| > SA if it is the local RP and receives a PIM register for the source (or
| > the source is directly connected and the router is the RP and DR on that
| > interface). If the router is not the local RP, it should not originate
| > the SAs. From RFC 3618:
| >
| > 6. Intermediate MSDP Peers
| >
| > Intermediate MSDP speakers do not originate periodic SA messages on
| > behalf of sources in other domains. In general, an RP MUST only
| > originate an SA for a source which would register to it, and ONLY RPs
| > may originate SA messages. Intermediate MSDP speakers MAY forward SA
| > messages received from other domains.
| >

| > On Tue, 10 Mar 2015, Zenon Mousmoulas wrote:
| >
| > | Hi Leonard,
| > |
| > | thanks, yes I figured out that a) I can't filter based on originator
(not that it would make much sense in general) and b) peer-rpf check does not
consider SA source. They are accepted, perhaps even before rule 4, because
the peer is indeed the next hop to the originator. So, to catch such cases,
one would need to write MSDP import policies that would reject SAs for
sources within one's own address space, which in general should not appear
outside one's own PIM domain.
| > |
| > | What I didn't understand however is why that MSDP originator would act
as a "reflector", i.e. if there would be any legitimate explanation for such
a behavior.
| > |
| > | Thanks for your insight,
| > | Z.
| > |
| > | 9 ?????? 2015, 23:33, ??/?? "Leonard Giuliano"
<>
????????????:
| > |

NOT