wg-multicast - Re: 22% of the global MSDP table. . .

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: 22% of the global MSDP table. . .

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To: Brent Sweeny <>
  • Cc: wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: 22% of the global MSDP table. . .
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 09:26:30 -0500

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 04:43:26PM -0500, Brent Sweeny wrote:
> it's been a while since we've discussed these here.
> can we come to a consensus on a BCP that we could all accept as a base
> for these lists, with local mods as desired?

Here's one suggestion based on what I saw in MSDP yesterday: 224.0.1.20. It's
an assigned group address, "any private experiment" and the contact is Jon
Postel, so technically it's valid. However, although we can't ask him what he
meant by that assignment I think it is safe to bet that he didn't mean this:
<https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2207507> Apparently the Empower
software is getting popular, since there are 140+ machines yapping away on
that group. Curiously, they don't appear to join it themselves, so they're
all talking to thin air, but it does a nice job polluting the global MSDP
table.

Bill.