wg-multicast - Re: General muticast guide - ala 'tv guide'

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: General muticast guide - ala 'tv guide'

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To: Tim Peiffer <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: General muticast guide - ala 'tv guide'
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 15:20:44 -0500

On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 02:11:09PM -0600, Tim Peiffer wrote:
> Has anyone developed and kept current a list of multicast sources
> that are known active? This is a broader question than a question
> of 'need multicast test stream'. A bonus would be if anyone had
> perl/python script, etc that listens on and builds a database of
> active SAPs.

Once upon a time there were multiple variations on this. As far as I know
they're all dead. As is inter-domain multicast, for the most part. . .

> My method currently: Periodically I run through a list of SAP's
> visible in VLC and build a M3U playlist file and use for my 'tv
> guide' of active channels. Trolling the SAPs are hit and miss, and
> there are a number of SAP sources worldwide that are advertising in
> the Administratively Scoped range 239.0.0.0/8 that provide a
> significant noise source.

That's probably the best bet at this point. We used to have the multicast
beacon to verify connectivity too, but I don't know whether anyone is running
beacons any more.

Bill.