wg-multicast - Re: 224.1.0.38 in MSDP

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: 224.1.0.38 in MSDP

  • From: Alan Whinery <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: 224.1.0.38 in MSDP
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 14:48:05 -1000

On 10/21/2013 11:23 AM, Mark Boolootian wrote:
> A somewhat laggard followup:
>
>>> Does anyone know a reason why 224.1.0.38 (Retrospect) should be
>>> announced via MSDP? I haven't found it in any filter list
>>> recommendations,
>>> but it seems like it should be local.
>> I don't think it should be global. But the last time I checked the MSDP
>> table,
>> the majority of things I saw shouldn't have been global, and it was so
>> depressing
>> that I stopped looking. . .
> I think it would be useful for this address to be added to the I2 NOC
> multicast cookbook MSDP filter:
>
> http://globalnoc.iu.edu/i2network/multicast-cookbook.html

Sidebar: After looking into a bunch of 226.178.217.5 traffic on our net,
I found that SpyBot Search and Destroy (http://www.safer-networking.org/
) uses that group to trade "Someone else out there?" messages (actual
text from packet) among its instances. Hard to say whether the
programmers of this "feature" understand that there are real networks
that disseminate multicast routes outside a given enterprise.