wg-multicast - Re: Video Furnace at Univ of Wisconsin-Madison

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Video Furnace at Univ of Wisconsin-Madison

  • From: Scott Bertilson <>
  • To: David Devereauxweber-Weber <>
  • Cc: WG-Multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: Video Furnace at Univ of Wisconsin-Madison
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 15:31:32 -0500

Don't know if you or anyone else really cares, but the underlying InStream viewer app for Linux is a real monster.  It uses close to 100% of 2 CPUs (Core2 Duo 2.66GHz).  I noticed that the stream was not encrypted and brought it up with vlc...which, along with the X server uses between 20 and 25% of one CPU.

I've talked to Haivision about this off and on over the few years, but they have not managed to get it performing better.  If anyone else has any inclination to ask them about it, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks, Scott